Hi, How Can We Help You?



The American universities, International students being enrolled have doubled since 1990. This rise in international students from 3 percent to 5 percent shows growth of popularity. Considerately, Asia is the primary region which accounts for the maximum students coming to the USA for education, including India, China, Saudi Arabia, South Korea and Canada. According to the Immigration Act of 1990 and other relevant legislation, the college-educated students can come to the US under temporary visa programs – for high skilled employment or higher education USA.

Science, technology, engineering and Mathematics have been the popular fields of study for international students, including business management.

Quick Facts

  • Full name: United States of America
  • Population: 328.8 million (UN, 2018)
  • Capital: Washington DC
  • Largest city: New York City
  • Area: 9.8 million sq km (3.8 million sq miles)
  • Major language: English
  • Major religion: Christianity
  • Life expectancy: 77 years (men), 82 years (women) (UN)
  • Monetary unit: 1 US dollar = 100 cents
  • Main exports: Computers and electrical machinery, vehicles, chemical products, food and live animals, military equipment and aircraft
  • GNI per capita: US $60,200 (World Bank, 2017)
  • Internet domain: .us
  • International dialing code: +1


  • California Institute of Technology
  • Stanford University
  • Massachusetts Institute of Technology
  • Harvard University
  • Princeton University
  • University of Chicago
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • Yale University
  • Johns Hopkins University
  • Columbia University
  • University of California, Los Angeles
  • Duke University
  • University of California, Berkeley
  • Cornell University
  • Northwestern University
  • University of Michigan
  • Carnegie Mellon University
  • University of Washington
  • New York University
  • University of California, San Diego
  • Georgia Institute of Technology
  • University of Illinois at Urbana – Champaign
  • University of Wisconsin – Madison
  • University of Texas at Austin
  • Brown University
  • Washington University in St Louis
  • University of California, Santa Barbara
  • University of California, Davis
  • University of Minnesota
  • University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
  • Purdue University
  • University of Southern California
  • University of Maryland, College Park
  • Boston University
  • Ohio State University
  • Pennsylvania State University
  • Michigan State University
  • Rice University
  • Dartmouth College
  • Emory University
  • University of California, Irvine
  • University of Colorado Boulder
  • University of Pittsburgh
  • Vanderbilt University
  • University of Virginia
  • Indiana University
  • Georgetown University
  • Arizona State University
  • University of Florida
  • University of Notre Dame
  • University of Rochester


USA welcomes foreign citizens who come to study in the US. Before applying for a visa, all student visa applicants are required to be accepted and approved by their school or program. Once accepted, educational institutions will provide each applicant the necessary approval documentation to be submitted when applying for a student visa. Students can apply within 120 days from the start date of I-20 and can travel within 30 days from the start date of I-20.

Types of Visa

There are three types of student visas to the US:

1. F1 Student Visa

If you are applying for a program which requires 18 or more hours of study in a week require an F1 visa. This USA includes all undergraduate programs as well as graduate programs like MS, MBA, etc.

Spouses or children accompanying F-1 visa recipients will travel on an F-2 visa.

Please note that spouses are not able to work but may accompany and/or apply for their own visa to the U.S. to work or study.

2. J1 Exchange Visitor Visa

The J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa USA is for students, visiting scholars or lecturers pursuing an exchange program. For example, Fulbright scholars and many students on short-term study abroad programs from Indian universities will travel to the U.S. on a J-1 visa.

J1 visa is usually sought by working professional who goes to America on an exchange program, hence the name Exchange Visitor Visa. These may include a 10-month vocational training or some research fellowship etc. Whichever be the case, the applicants would be notified for the same by the respective institutions.

Spouses or children accompanying J-1 Visa recipients will travel on a J-2 Visa.

Please note that spouses are able to work when permission is obtained in advance.

3. M-1 Vocational/ Non-Academic Student Visa

The M1 visa is a type of student visa reserved for vocational and technical schools. While the process remains similar to an F1 visa, the difference is that on entering, the M1 visas are time stamped and students cannot overstay their visit.

Cost of Living

An international student spends an average of $1000 per month towards living expenses. But from the research, it is seen that Indian students spend around $500 to $600 per month as living expenses which include accommodation, food, transportation, entertainment etc.

In case of couples, Indian Couple spends around $1000 to $1200 per month.

Education Expense

The institutes cost mainly depends upon the status and the courses they offer:

  • Private Institute’s highest cost is $35,000
  • Private Institute’s lowest cost is $18,000
  • State Institute’s highest cost is $25,000
  • State Institute’s lowest cost is $12,000

So tuition fees are different for different courses chosen by the student.

Funds Requirement

Students need to show proof of funds for the duration of the study mentioned on the I20. Generally, students are required to show liquid assets to cover the cost of the first year of study and living expenses and other assets to cover the remaining course costs and living expenses.

Evidence of Funds

  • Your family (Parents, Siblings, Spouse and Grandparents) is considered as a natural sponsor for your student visa application. Apart from family, you are entitled to have two immediate blood relatives as sponsors.
  • Source of Funds can include Savings balance, Deposits, Provident Funds, Postal Savings, Education Loan, etc.
  • Properties, Share market investments, Gold, etc can be counted as the source of funds towards the further years of study.


Scholarships, grants, and fellowships are generally based on the student’s academic ability and performance through the years. Only an academically outstanding student is considered for this type of a reward. Every year thousands of students, looking at studying abroad, hunt for information about scholarships that are available to them. These can be private or public and can even be research grants. This type of aid is usually in the form of money.

If you’re planning on studying in the US, check if you are eligible, and if you can avail of any of the scholarships mentioned in this article. Why pay more when you can pay less?

A scholarship can be of two kinds

Full: The scholarship pays for the student’s entire tuition fee, living expenses, his books, etc. Partial: The scholarship pays only for tuition fee (this could also be in part). The student will have to provide for partial funding through other sources.

Student Visa

Your visa interview will determine whether you are qualified to receive a student visa for the USA. Assuming that you have prepared the all required documents and meet all of the visa requirements, your visa will be approved at the discretion of the consular officer.

A visa issuance fee may require paying. Digital fingerprint scans will be taken for records. Your passport USA will be taken so that you can get your visa and you will be informed when you can get it back, either by pick-up or in the mail.

Pre Departure

Before your departure, you will be required to make your travel arrangements, gather pre-departure materials and documents for arrival, as well as report to your school and attend the orientations.

You may check your institution’s website for additional pre-departure information USA that will be more specific and collect information about your health insurance, average local temperatures throughout the year, local transportation options, housing, and more.


Working While Studying

Working while studying can be a great opportunity to earn money during your stay in the US, and international students can expect to make at least minimum wage. Although this will not be enough to fund all of your education, it can certainly help offset the cost. Along with providing you extra cash and experience on your resume, Work Study programs allow you the opportunity to practice English in a professional environment, helping you to prepare for work after college.

Work After Study

An F-1 student is generally entitled up to one year of post-completion practical training. Authorization for this type of practical training may be granted for a maximum of 12 months and starts once you have graduated or completed your course of study.

Speak to the international students department of your university to get the necessary forms to apply. They will inform you of the different practical training options available to you. Find out about your practical training options when you start to study so you can adequately prepare for the future.


Accompanying family

In USA, Spouses including same-sex spouses, and/or unmarried children under the age of 21 who wish to accompany or join the principal visa holder in the United States for the duration of his or her stay require derivative F or M visas. There is no derivative visa for the parents of F or M holders.

Family members who do not intend to reside in the United States with the principal visa holder, but wish to visit for vacations only, may be eligible to apply for visitor (B-2) visas.

Spouses and dependents may not work in the United States on a derivative F or M visa. If your spouse/child seeks employment, the spouse must obtain the appropriate work visa.


Non-Immigrant H-1B Visa (Specialty Occupation)

The minimum requirements for obtaining this classification are: (1) a U.S. employer to sponsor the applicant, (2) a U.S. Bachelors Degree or its equivalent, and (3) a correlation between the job duties and the applicant’s education and work experience. In addition to the above requirements, it is also necessary to obtain an approval of a labor condition attestation from the Department of Labor prior to filing the H-1B petition with the Immigration & Naturalization Service. A LCA is required to ensure that foreign workers are not exploited by U.S. employers and are paid the same salaries and obtain the same benefits as their American counterparts.

The H-1B is granted for an initial period of 3 years and can be extended for an additional 3 years, but cannot be extended beyond 6 years. Spouses and minor children automatically obtain H-4 visas, which entitle them to accompany the applicant to the U.S. and to attend school, but not work, in the U.S.


What make your studying more innovative and enjoying in the USA is the people and the culture followed throughout the USA. People here are more hospitable, friendly, kind, generous and open hearted in accepting foreigners with their cultures and values.